This webinar addressed the following items:
- The Stimulus Act establishes an enhanced enforcement scheme, including more stringent penalties, for violations of HIPAA. This webinar will provide Covered Entities and Business Associates with guidance related to compliance with the new HIPAA privacy and security requirements.
- The Stimulus Act establishes new security breach notification requirements, which apply directly to Covered Entities and Business Associates.
- The Stimulus Act imposes direct liability upon Business Associates for violations of HIPAA privacy and security requirements and creates other new affirmative Business Associate obligations. This webinar will discuss the new Business Associate obligations and the need for modified Business Associate contracts.
- New requirements for providing an "accounting" to individuals of disclosures of protected health information. These requirements have been greatly enhanced and may require changes in the technology utilized by such Covered Entities and Business Associates.
- Covered Entities will need to address their Notice of Privacy Rights to incorporate the changes provided by the Stimulus Act. The provisions which will need to be incorporated within the Notice of Privacy Rights and the implications for Covered Entities' administrative and operational practices.
- New civil and criminal penalties for HIPAA violations and the process for state enforcement of HIPAA.