Ashley Thomas assists clients in managing cybersecurity, privacy, information security and vendor risks. She advises clients on all aspects of compliance with federal, state and international data privacy and security laws, such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Ashley prepares, updates and advises clients on their privacy, data security and incident response policies and procedures, as well as third-party vendor agreements. She regularly counsels clients following data and cybersecurity incidents, including subsequent internal investigations, state and federal notification obligations and associated regulatory and litigation risks. Ashley is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US & CIPP/E) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Prior to joining Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP, Ashley worked at multiple Am Law 100 firms, advising clients on all aspects of data privacy and security. Representing clients in the healthcare arena, Ashley advised public health systems, medical device manufacturers and technology companies on data breaches and breach notification risk assessments, as well as on an array of regulatory compliance, licensure and operational matters.
International Association of Privacy Professionals
American Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- Vice-Chair, eHealth, Privacy & Security Interest, 2018-20
- Chair, Web & Technology Committee, 2019-20
- Young Lawyers Division
- Liaison to the Science & Technology Section Council, 2019-20
- Liaison to the Health Law Section Membership Committee, 2018-19
- Chair, Science & Technology Committee (YLD), 2016-18
American Health Lawyers Association
- Vice-Chair, Public Health System Affinity Group, 2017-20
- Social Media Coordinator, Physician Organizations Practice Group, 2014-17
Junior League of Washington, D.C.
- Chair, Technology Committee, 2019-20
- Vice-Chair of Development, Transfer Committee, 2018-19
D.C. Chi Omega Alumnae
- Chair of Philanthropy, 2018