Morris, Manning & Martin LLP (“MMM”) in partnership with Norfolk Southern is seeking a diverse student who has completed their first year of law school for a legal Fellowship as part of MMM’s Summer Program. The Fellow will work closely with both organizations. MMM believes diversity is essential to delivering excellent services to our clients and community. We continue to strive for a diverse compliment of attorneys, law students, and staff in order to help us gain a better breadth of perspective. This new Fellowship furthers our commitment to achieving greater diversity and inclusion in the legal industry.
The Fellowship Program is comprised of two components:
- The Fellow will have just completed their first year of law school and will join MMM as a summer associate in our Atlanta office. The Fellow will participate in the full nine weeks of MMM’s summer program. A significant portion of their legal work during the nine-week program will be devoted to work supporting Norfolk Southern’s legal team.
- Following MMM’s summer program, the Fellow will then join Norfolk Southern in its Atlanta office for two weeks. The Fellow will be paid the summer associate salary during the additional two weeks at Norfolk Southern.
Our Summer Program at MMM is designed to give law students a realistic understanding of our firm and learn firsthand what it means to be a lawyer at MMM. Summer associates will attend client meetings, hearings, trials, depositions and negotiations, and will receive valuable hands-on experience through our work assignment process. Each summer associate is assigned a mentor who serves as the summer associate’s advocate throughout the summer as well as a “go-to” person for questions about the firm culture, work assignments, social events, business etiquette, etc. Summer associates are invited to attend the CLE and training programs that are offered to our attorneys. We also plan a variety of social events to give our summer associates the opportunity to get to know our attorneys outside the work environment.
Partnering with our client, Norfolk Southern, will give our Fellow a unique experience working in-house for two weeks following the summer program. Norfolk Southern’s strategy toward diversity and inclusion is key to success as a transportation leader. Norfolk Southern continues to create and sustain a company culture anchored by their core spirit values and promotes inclusion and respect for their people, customers, and the global communities they serve. The Fellow will have the opportunity to work directly with seasoned attorneys and gain the perspective of working on advanced work assignments in-house.
- Strong academic and professional credentials
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership abilities
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion at law school and in the community
- The desire to pursue a career at a big law firm