Download vCard: vCard
Email: Click Here
John C. Yates is the partner-in-charge of the Technology Practice. Mr. Yates is one of the pioneers of the technology law field and has been practicing exclusively in this area for over 30 years. The firm’s technology practice has represented hundreds of technology companies and provides legal services in such areas as IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, patent prosecution, Internet law, biotech and medical devices, ecommerce/distribution, corporate finance and venture capital, international law and dispute resolution. Mr. Yates is also a member of the firm’s IndUS Group, Data Center Law Group and Mobile Law & Compliance Group.
Mr. Yates is internationally recognized in the technology law field. He has founded and been a member of the Board of Directors of leading technology organizations for over two decades. Mr. Yates co-founded the Southeastern Software Association (SSA), Southeastern Medical Device Association (SEMDA) and Technology Association of Georgia (TAG). He serves on the editorial board of leading technology publications, and his articles have been cited in the computer law area, including citation by the U.S. Supreme Court in Kodak vs. Image Technical Services. He is a co-author of articles published in The Law and Business of Computer Software and The Handbook of Business Management. Mr. Yates is frequently quoted in business publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and the Atlanta Business Chronicle. Mr. Yates has also been recognized in a Harvard Business School case study (“Ockham Technologies: Living on the Razor’s Edge”) as a leading lawyer representing fast growth companies.
Mr. Yates is a frequent speaker at national and international business and technology law organizations. He has delivered more than 250 speeches during his career. He has also spoken at annual computer law seminars sponsored by the Georgia Bar Association, North Carolina Bar Foundation, Minnesota Computer Law Institute and American Bar Association’s Section of Science and Technology.
In 2001, the Technology Association of Georgia honored Mr. Yates by making him the first recipient of the “Leader of Influence Award” for his outstanding service to the region’s technology community. He has also been selected by eCompanies as one of the “Technology Leaders in Atlanta” and by the Atlanta Business Chronicle as one of the “Most Influential Leaders in Atlanta.”
In 2002, the United Way of Metropolitan Atlanta created the John Yates Award for Community Leadership honoring his work on behalf of the community as co-chair of the United Way’s Atlanta Technology Initiative for 2001-02. The award is presented to the United Way campaign member who surpasses expectations and inspires others to use their unique gifts in ways that impact the community.
In 2003, Mr. Yates was Chairman of the Georgia Technology Celebration, the largest gathering of technology executives in Georgia’s history. He also received the 2003 Community Builder Award from the Technology Association of Georgia for his service on behalf of the technology community in the state.
Mr. Yates is currently co-authoring a book, entitled “The Art of Business Friendship,” and is a columnist for various online computer and legal publications. He was selected as a “Georgia Super Lawyer” in the fields of Business/Corporate (Technology) in 2004 - 2012 and is among the top five percent of the state’s attorneys to be so honored.
Honors and Affiliations
- Recipient, Turknett Leadership Character Award, Executive/ Manager category
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - Listed Nationally as a top lawyer in Venture Capital, 2009 – 2012 & listed as Top lawyer in Corporate M&A, 2007 - 2013
- Chair, 2013 Atlanta NCAA Final Four Basketball Committee
- Honored, Georgia Trend Legal Elite, 2012
- Member, Board of Directors, Atlanta Sports Council
- Emory University New Venture Advisory Board
- Underwriter, Georgia CIO Leadership Association
- Board of Directors and Past President, Technology Executives Roundtable
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Duke University Law School
- Board of Visitors
- Chair - Development Committee &Campaign Committee
- Board of Trustees, Furman University
- Board of Directors, Atlanta CEO Council
- Past Chair, Metro Atlanta Chamber Political Action Committee (MAC PAC)
- Co-Founder and Advisory Board, Southeastern Medical Device Association (SEMDA)
- Director Emeritus, Advisory Board and Past Chair, Technology Committee of the Metro Atlanta United Way
- Board of Directors, Technology Association of Georgia (TAG)
- Co-Founder, Minority Technology Entrepreneurs (MiTE)
- Former Co-Chair, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce/Business Recruitment Sub-Committee
- Founder and Former Member of the Board of Directors - Southeastern Software Association
- Listed, Legal 500, Venture Capital and Emerging Companies, 2010 - 2011
- Co-Founder, Technology Tax and Finance Forum
- Former Member and Chair, Leadership Committee, Governor’s Science and Technology Advisory Council, State of Georgia
- Technology Law Columnist: TechJournal South / Business to Business
- Former Member, Editorial Board, The Computer Lawyer
- Former Member, Board of Visitors, Grady Hospital
- Former Member, Commission for a New Georgia - Software
- Past President, St. Johns Lutheran Church (Atlanta)
- Past Member, Board of Trustees -- The Paideia School
- Former Member, Children’s Community Board, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Winship Cancer Research Institute, Former Advisory Board
- Co-Founder, Technology General Counsel Roundtable
- Co-Chair, Technology Marketing Council of the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Guest Lecturer, Duke University School of Law
- Atlanta Rotary Club
- TiE Charter Member
- Former Co-Chair – United Way of Metro Atlanta / Cole Society
- Advisory Board of Directors, CURE Childhood Cancer
- Community Leader of Faith, Day1
- Member, Board of Directors, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Attorneys Association
Speaking Engagements More Speaking Engagements...
Recent News More News...
Articles More Articles...