Download vCard: vCard
Email: Click Here
Cassady V. (“Cass”) Brewer is an Assistant Professor at the Georgia State University College of Law and is Of Counsel to the firm in the Tax, Exempt Organizations, and Wealth Planning Practices. Professor Brewer focuses his tax-oriented practice in the areas of privately-held businesses (including real estate companies) and their owners; partnerships, limited liability companies and S corporations; succession planning; wealth transfer and protection; charitable planning; and exempt organizations.
Professor Brewer is the Co-Chair of the Nonprofit Law Section, a past Chair of the Partnership and LLC Committee, and a past Member of the Executive Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia. Professor Brewer participated in the drafting of the Georgia Limited Liability Company and Limited Liability Partnership Acts and is a frequent speaker at local and regional seminars and workshops concerning federal and state tax matters, especially partnership and limited liability company issues, tax and succession planning for privately-held businesses, and tax aspects of exempt organizations. He is a member of the Tax Section of the American Bar Association and the Tax Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and he is a member of the Atlanta Tax Forum.
Professor Brewer was selected as one of Georgia Trend Magazine’s 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010 “Legal Elite” in the field of taxes, trusts and estates. He was also named by Atlanta Magazine as one of its “Georgia SuperLawyers” in the tax field for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. Most recently, Professor Brewer was named in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in 2012, a notable honor he has upheld since 2008, as well as in The Legal 500 US for 2011 as a top attorney in Domestic Tax: East Coast.
- Responsible for advice and implementation of tax and wealth planning strategies for multiple closely-held businesses and their owners, including the use of shareholder agreements, family partnerships, insurance trusts, recapitalizations, and charitable trusts.
- Advisor to multiple tax-exempt organizations, including qualified retirement plans and college endowment funds investing in real estate partnerships and operating companies.
- Tax counsel in connection with numerous IRS audits, especially audits relating to U.S. Virgin Islands Economic Development Program.
Honors and Affiliations
- Co-Chair of the Nonprofit Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Tax Sections, Atlanta and American Bar Associations
- Member, Atlanta Tax Forum
- Drafting Committee for the Georgia Limited Liability Company and Limited Liability Partnership Acts
- Past Chair, Partnership and LLC Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of Georgia (2005 - 2007)
- Past Member, Executive Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America for Tax Law (2013-2014)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - listed as a top lawyer in Tax (2008-2013)
- Listed, Legal 500, Domestic Tax: East Coast (2011)
- Super Lawyer - Atlanta Magazine (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010)
- Georgia’s Legal Elite - Georgia Trend magazine (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2013)
- Past President, Atlanta Chapter of the Arkansas Alumni Association
- “Good Egg” Award, Foothills District, Atlanta Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
Speaking Engagements More Speaking Engagements...
Recent News More News...